Promotion and conservation of Organic Farming with Low Cost Technology Programme
Back to the basics is the call of the time.
We have tremendously exploited our mother land by applying poisonous, chemical fertilizers to improve productivity so as to meet the growing food demand of the population. In the long run, the process has left our soil infertile, demanding more and more chemical fertilizer every time. While organic farming has been a long standing tradition, lack of proper knowledge has come up as a barrier for the farmers
With support from Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India, New Delhi, KAGAS is running this program to promote and conserve organic farming with low cost technology.
Objective of the Project
- To advocate and promote organic farming practices in the defined project area
- To introduce eco-friendly technologies and conserve indigenous knowledge for sustainable agricultural practices
- To empower farmers by developing their entrepreneur skills, technical knowledge such as grading of their produce and establishing market linkages
- The project area is characterized by geographical complexities with limited mobility and communication means, economic isolation and lack of basic facilities like health and education
- 80% of the families are dependent upon agriculture practiced in small, terraced holdings
- The produce is mostly used for subsistence purposes with little or no access for farmers to market
- Agricultural practices are dominated by organic farming; however, this type of farming is now leading to poor results as farmers have little access to information and knowledge about right practices
- Use of chemical fertilizer have led to low quality in food production, environmental contamination and reduced fertility of the soil
- Agriculturists, though can impart adequate technical knowhow; however, they do not have enough skills to undertake organic farming for marketing purposes
Mobilization of farmers for organic farming
Exposure visits and technology demonstration for better understanding.
Training of farmers in organic farming and new agricultural technologies
Training on aspects of marketing and establishing market linkages with the national markets
Grading, branding and promotion of organic product
- 200 Farmers have stared Organic farming practices with low cost eco-friendly technology.
- Established Market linkages now cost of their produce increased 3 times in the market.
- Earning of farmers has increased by Rs.10000-15000/- per year from organic farming.